[mythtv-users] Dell GX260 P4 2.8GHz as HD front end system -- opinions?

Michael Wisniewski wiz561 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 22 13:30:36 UTC 2006

I had a Dell that I was using for awhile to do SDTV.  It was quiet and
worked well.  I forgot the specs on it, but I believe it was in the range of
a 2 ghz P4 box with 512 meg of RAM.  With SD, it hickuped every now and then
with video playback.

I don't know for sure, but I'm going to guess that a P4 2.8Ghz and 256 meg
of ram is a little bit slow for HD.  But again, I would take other's advice
instead because I never did HD on the box.

Good Luck!

On 10/20/06, Alan Marchiori <alan at alanmarian.com> wrote:

> Saw this on eBay for buy it now + ship $269.90.  Seems like it would be
> cheaper than building up an amd/intel box from scratch?  2 PCI + 1 AGP, so I
> could add a cheap geforce 6 AGP w/ DVI out my TV plus a PCI sound card for
> SPDIF out if the motherboard's outputs don't work.  Should be a complete
> front end for under $350.
>
> But is P4 2.8GHz / 256MB ram enough for good HD?  If so is it safe to drop
> down to the 2.6G / 2.4G/ 2.2/ 2.0/ etc...?
>
> Also I've never used this particular box but most dell SFF's are pretty
> quiet, yes/no?
>
> Thanks,

View my blog!
http://wiz561.blogspot.com/