[mythtv-users] channel line up priorities; what are others doing

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Sun Oct 22 09:36:19 UTC 2006

jeff wrote:
> Was curious what others were doing if they are in a similar situation.
>
> I just got my HDHomerun hooked up so i have 2 HD tuners and one pvr
> 350.  What I want to do is just schedule shows to record not caring
> about the channel name (i.e. NBC vs NBC-DT) or if they are in HD or not
> such that if I have 3 shows recording at the same time if any of them
> are in HD the shows that will benefit from the new tuners will
> automatically be put onto the HD tuners.  And if none of the shows are
> in HD then they would all be recorded on the best tuner available (ie HD
> anyways).

There is a field for program.hdtv that zap2it should only set
for HD broadcasts that are on HD channels even though the
programid and all other listings data is identical.

mysql> select programid,previouslyshown,chanid,hdtv,title from program where title like 'Saturday Night Live' and (chanid=1003 or chanid=2123) order by programid,chanid;
+--------------+-----------------+--------+------+---------------------+
| programid    | previouslyshown | chanid | hdtv | title               |
+--------------+-----------------+--------+------+---------------------+
| EP0037100494 |               1 |   1003 |    0 | Saturday Night Live |
| EP0037100494 |               1 |   2123 |    0 | Saturday Night Live |
| EP0037100533 |               1 |   1003 |    0 | Saturday Night Live |
| EP0037100533 |               1 |   2123 |    0 | Saturday Night Live |
| EP0037100726 |               0 |   1003 |    0 | Saturday Night Live |
| EP0037100726 |               0 |   2123 |    1 | Saturday Night Live |
| EP0037100727 |               0 |   1003 |    0 | Saturday Night Live |
| EP0037100727 |               0 |   2123 |    1 | Saturday Night Live |
+--------------+-----------------+--------+------+---------------------+
8 rows in set (0.00 sec)

494 and 533 are older reruns at 1am. The new 11:30 shows are
marked as 'hdtv' only on the digital channel (this is an imperfect
example but I won't go into it =).

In TV Settings->Recording Priorities->Set Recording Priorities
set "HDTV Recording Priority" to "1" to add priority to shows
that have the hdtv flag set. In this example, if I have my SNL
rule set to +2, the showing on the digital channel will have a
total of +3 so 2123 will beat the showing on 1003. If I expect
that there might be a +4 show on at the same time, I could even
set the HDTV boost to +3. A digital SNL would then total +5 and
beat the analog +4 and win the HDTV input for the show that is
known to be HDTV. The non-hdtv rerun at 1am would again be +2
and would lose to any higher priority show. If the +4 show was
also hdtv, it would total +7 for the HDTV input beating SNL
and so on...

> The last catch in my question is if I'm recording lets say Friends (and
> pretend there are HD versions of it).  I don't want every show of
> friends on every channel.  Only the ones on NBC.

You would go to Custom Record, select "Match an exact title"
and "Only shows marked as HDTV":

Rule Name: Friends HD

program.title = 'Friends'
AND program.hdtv > 0

This will only match showings that have the hdtv flag set. This
is assuming that you meant that "ones on NBC" == "HD versions".
"Only the ones on NBC" verbatim would be simply choosing a showing
on "NBC" and selecting "Record at any time on this channel".

> Any suggestions or validation would be appreciated.

Your parking fees are waived.

--  bjm