[mythtv-users] Considering HDHomeRun, is this a bad time to buy an HD-5500?

jeff news at propixs.com
Sun Oct 22 05:32:15 UTC 2006

Tim Scholl wrote:

> On 10/20/06, *news at propixs.com <mailto:news at propixs.com>*
> <news at propixs.com <mailto:news at propixs.com>> wrote:
>

>     On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 15:39:45 -0400, "Richard Bronosky"
>     <mythtv at bronosky.com <mailto:mythtv at bronosky.com>> wrote:
>     > I've finally gotten up the nerve to go HD, but am wondering if the
>     > HD-5500 is still the best way to go.  (in the US)
>     >
>     >

>     I have an HD-3000 but have had various problems over the past year
>     and a half with it each time I upgrade.  Some say its power supply
>     problems, electronic noise.... I don't know if the 5500 is better
>     but I finaly gave up on the 3000 the other day and ordered the
>     hdhomerun.  I don't have it working yet because i need to upgrade
>     to the lastest svn due to some opencable stuff.  But from the
>     video I got over it and how easy it is to setup I think it is a
>     much better option (assuming I get my working this
>     weekend).  Also, you get two tuners this way.
>

> I'm looking for a HD-3000 ...
>
> --
> Tim Scholl
I'll keep you in mind :).

I did just get my HDhomerun set up, and I highly suggest this is the way
to go.. Its so nice not having the hardware inside the box and it was
fairly easy to get going once you remove all the channels that are
detected but are encrypted (qam256).

Another point (not trying to get booed) but if you want to try another
PVR say sagetv or beyondtv would never think of the MS one.  Both are
supposed to be supported by the hdhomerun soon (sagetv is in beta right
now).