[mythtv-users] 1080p without XVMC - MPG and AVI support

Ben Curtis mythtv at nosolutions.com
Sat Oct 21 20:45:41 UTC 2006

I've read a number of posts about which video card is best for 1080p, but
I'm going to be upgrading one system and building another from scratch,
and I want them to be more than enough to play 1080p AVI/WMV/MPG content,
without XVMC.  I currently have one machine that is an Athlon XP 2500+
that overclocks nicely to 3200+ if I need it to.  It's running an FX5200
plus and worked great with XVMC in .19, not .20.  Without XVMC it can play
MPG streams, but the card can't handle AVI/WMV streams.  So, I have three
goals:

1) Upgrade the FX5200 card (AGP) in the Athlon XP 2500+ frontend to
support 1080p playback of all forms of media (AVI/WMV/MPG)

2) Create a whole new system for the living room (possibly using the same
card) to also support 1080p playback.

3) Cheap.  Most bang for buck suggestions only, please.

So basically, what card should I choose for #1, and what system
(processor/vid card) should I choose for #2?  I can figure out the
mobo/case/etc on my own after a chip type/speed is selected.

Thanks!