[mythtv-users] Semi-OT: IR Receiver that can be Purchased Locally?

Remco Treffkorn remco at rvt.com
Fri Oct 20 20:03:27 UTC 2006

On Friday 20 October 2006 11:14, Matt Garman wrote:
> I'd like to try and setup a universal remote for my Myth box this
> weekend.  I plan on buying the One-For-All 8910 (for its low cost and
> substantial amount readily available setup info).
>
> However, I don't have an IR receiver, and would like to get this thing
> working this weekend.
>
> So, short of buying the supplies to build one, can anyone recommend an
> IR receiver than can be obtained via an avenue other than mail-order?
>
> FWIW, I live in the Chicago area (northwest suburbs).

If you have microphone input available on your sound card, you can use the
lirc audio or audio_alsa driver with only one part from RadioShak.
Get the IR receiver IC they have. There is only one. Find a short piece of
microphone wire with the 3.5mm plug on one end. I cut it of a cheep mic.

Solder the IR receivers ground to the shield, the power (red lead) to the VCC
and the mic to the receiver output. No other parts are needed.

You should be able to hear the sound when you press a button on the remote.

If you do, mute the mic in the playback section. Select the mic as capture
source and enable capture. When you press a button now, you won't hear a
thing. Then make sure things are correct and run "arecord".

You should see:
Recording WAVE '(null)' : Unsigned 8 bit, Rate 8000 Hz, Mono
RIFF$WAVEfmt @data

When you press a button there should be plenty of output.

Now start lirc with the audio_alsa driver (or audio) and you are set.

If you want to mount the receiver in the case, you can hook it up to the CD
(left) input and get 5V from wherever.

This works extremely reliable, even on underpowered h/w.

There are other recipes out there, but they require more parts.

Cheers,
Remco

--
Remco Treffkorn (RT445)