[mythtv-users] zap2it - rsync updates?

Braindead Braindead at diablops.com
Fri Oct 20 17:39:17 UTC 2006

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 13:23:17 -0400
"Michael T. Dean" <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> On 10/19/06 12:15, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
>
> >Derek Battams wrote:
<snip>
> >Has anyone talked with Zap2It about possibly providing something
> >like an rsync interface for retrieving channel listings?  This could
> >effectively allow people to keep their listings completely up to
> >date while limiting the load on their servers.
> >

> It's been talked about before, but won't work because every user has
> a unique lineup.  TMS made a conscious decision to save bandwidth at
> the expense of computational resources by giving each user a
> customized lineup.  That doesn't mean we should punish them for
> giving us a better product by wasting their resources.

It would require changes on their end to maximize the efficiency.  Seems to me that one file per channel per unique source would work very well for rsync, and then your user 'customized' information would simply be what channels/source you have (allowing easy deleting of those crummy shopping channels for example).

Not knowing how they get the data and organize it makes it difficult to 'second guess' this..

As it stands now I do a complete refresh on a weekly basis, but this discussion has me thinking I'm being a bad zap-2-it user by doing so.