[mythtv-users] can't get mytv to start... "GetEntryAt(-1) failed."

MythTV Users MythTV-Users at rdl.reddogleader.net
Fri Oct 20 14:50:28 UTC 2006

I have the exact same issue the reoccurs a lot.  This is getting very
frustrating.  It appears that if any program info isn't in the database
(I'm guessing here) that mythtv doesn't want to start.  This appears to
be a bad logic issue.  If this is what the issue really is, it is like
saying you should be able to turn your TV on without know what channel
it is already on and what exactly is on that channel, and what you are
planning to watch.

You should be able to watch TV, even if your database doesn't have every
channel populated.  It seems that the DataDirect feed (at least for my
area) sometimes doesn't have program info for some of the more obscure
channels.

This issue is keeping me from putting the systems I've built into
"production" use for awhile.  While I can drop out of the mythfrontend
and run "mplayer /dev/video" to watch TV, that isn't a family friendly
process  :-)

If anyone has the REAL solution to this, I would love to hear it.  I
haven't seen anything in the way of an actual resolution to this issue,
which seems to be reoccurring almost every month (except June and July)
for various people.

Thanks!
Mike