[mythtv-users] Transcoding advice -- stuttery video, tearing, nausea

Pete Cap peteoutside at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 19 22:27:21 UTC 2006

Hello all,

My myth box is just about up and running.  I have some remaining issues remaining that have to do with transcoding.

First off, the "raw" mpegs that Myth records are blurry when played back on the TV and have significant artifacts that I thought would go away with deinterlacing.  Most did, but there are still "ghost" images--something on the screen moves very fast, and that frame will appear to have a "ghost" where the object was.  It's nauseating if you try to watch it for very long.

Second, if I try to transcode while the box is recording, the resulting recording will be stuttery.  I'm using a PVR-150 which should be doing all the encoding with little or no hit to system resources that I'm aware of; is transcoding THAT intensive?

Finally, using nuvexport, I can export my recordings--about half the time.  I have to use --debug and manually change some flags, then manually create the fifo directory and run the mythtranscode and ffmpeg or transcode commands in two shells.  Sometimes it errors out, sometimes it works.  When it works it takes 3 or 4 hours to complete.  It does not edit out the commercials, although according to the recording settings commercial-flagging is on.

So, in general, if anyone has got any tips on improving my recordings, I'd love to hear them.  Is the transcoding time normal or am I doing something wrong?  The box isn't especially beefy--a 2.5g celery with a gig of ram--but it seems to be taking an awfully long time.  Finally, I actually haven't found many FAQs about mythcommflag so if anyone can point me to some documentation I'll just go read that.

Thanks,
Pete