[mythtv-users] Getting a Motorola 6200 Box from Chicago Comcast

Dewey Smolka dsmolka at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 19:21:36 UTC 2006

On 10/19/06, Matt Garman <matthew.garman at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm living in the Chicago area and have (because they are the only
> choice) Comcast for high speed internet and cable TV.
>

> As I've discovered by searching the mythtv archives, Chicagoland
> Comcast's distribution is almost all digital, and as such, requires a
> set-top box.  The box they gave me is a General Instrument.
> Unfortunately, this STB has neither firewire nor any working outputs
> that will work with my PVR-150.

The box must have an RF output -- how else would you hook it up to a TV?

> I called to see if I could get one of the Motorola boxes (I believe I
> want the 6200 high-def box).  I can rent it for $4.99/month, which I
> can tolerate.  But they won't give me the box unless I upgrade my
> service, which costs another $20/month!

They're lying to you. The hi-def plan for the extra $20 is a different
deal than the DCT-6200 for $5.

> So has anyone out there figured out a way to obtain the box without
> the premium service?  I didn't speak to a manager on the phone, but
> the customer service rep claimed she asked one... so, dunno if I
> should keep calling with the hope that another rep will do this for
> me, or pursue some other avenue.

They're lying to you and trying to upsell you. Some tactics you might try:

1) Ask to speak to a manager. It that fails, demand to speak to
manager. Be polite but firm.

2) Remind the manager that Comcast is required by the FCC to carry OTA
HD channels in the clear, and that those channels must be available
over firewire. And they're required to provide a capable STB to any
customer who requests it. Here's the relevant regulations:

http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/12feb20041500/edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2004/octqtr/pdf/47cfr76.640.pdf

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-03-225A1.pdf

Reference page 50.

Make sure they understand that you're not interested in cable HD
channels, only OTA. Make sure they understand that the important
factor is being able to control the box externally -- Comcast Chicago
also has the Motorola DCT 2000 STB which can be controlled via serial
cable.

3) Threaten to file a formal complaint with the Chicago Cable Commission.

4) Threaten to cancel service. Point out that Dish + DSL is much
cheaper than what they're offering. (This may even get you a lower
rate for the next few months).

You can still control any STB with an IR balster.