[mythtv-users] colour "sharpness" question

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Oct 19 18:21:18 UTC 2006

On 10/19/06 14:00, Jerome Yuzyk wrote:

>Could it be that Myth is mistaken about my screen resolution? I was going
>through the Appearances setup and there's an option to use separate
>resolutions. The offered resolutions were the desktop resolution I used to
>set up Myth originally (1280x1024), and I downsized after installation (to
>1024x768) thinking that would help. Does Myth need to be told of this
>behind-Myth's-back change, or does it autosync, or not even care?

Myth will sync up with screen size on every mythfrontend restart.  If
you change the screen size without restarting X (i.e. with
Ctrl-Alt-KP+/KP-), restart mythfrontend.  Note, though, if you specify a
non-zero (=not "auto" fullscreen) GUI width/height, Myth won't
auto-adjust (it does what you ask, even if what you ask it wrong).

>From another suggestion about my (lack of) signal strength - I have no
>artifacts (hatching, striping) that usually manifest on a weak signal,
>just a picture that looks like it's got about 75% of the resolution of the
>crisper old machine.

As suggested, check and play with the settings in the recording
profile.  Note, too, that as Brian mentioned, bitrate and resolution
must be appropriately matched, so you can't necessarily just change each
profile setting individually to see if it fixes the problem.

Mike