[mythtv-users] Program Data

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Thu Oct 19 12:32:36 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-10-19 at 06:38 -0500, Chiwda Lover wrote:
> I could not find anything in the archives (but I did not look very hard
> considering I would have had to download one file per month per mailing list
> - SHEEESH!!).  I looked on the Wiki, but a very sparse explanation is
> available.
There is are links to searchable versions of the mailing lists here:
  http://www.mythtv.org/modules.php?name=MythInfo

> Anyway, I am now cross posting to the dev list because perhaps the question
> should have been posted there in the first place.
Please don't cross-post.

> How do I actually get the EIT information?  Is there a utility that I can
> use?  If not, how do I go about writing one?  Ideally I would like to get
> this information and then push it into mythfilldatabase somehow.  I can
> write shell scripts and even a little C code - am I capable of doing what I
> need?
MythTV has an internal EIT scanner. In mythtv-setup you need to
create a Video Source and check the "Perform EIT Scan" checkbox,
or set the listings grabber type to "Transmitted guide only (EIT)".
Then you need to scan for channels using the "Scan for channels"
button in the input connections pane of mythtv-setup, just make
sure you do not use "channels.conf" import, but instead perform
an actual scan. There is also a checkbox in the mythtv-setup
channel editor for each channel called "Use on air guide" but
it should be checked by default.

FYI I believe that in some DVB countries there are XMLTV
grabbers which use EIT collected data, but you should try
the internal scanner first.

-- Daniel