[mythtv-users] Transcoding and deinterlacing, and other transcode issues

Jeremy Silber jsilber at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 00:06:22 UTC 2006

> Actually, I now see that filters have been added to the transcode
> profiles.  Presumably mencoder filters?  Anyway, it should be possible to
> put in cubic deinterlace filters here.  I am not sure if you should
> resize first with interlace-aware resize, then deint, or deint first and
> then resize.    Is mythtranscode using interlace aware resize all the
> time?  Is this what caused my problems on transcoding 720p video?

I recently updated my transcoders to all use deinterlace.  The
resulting video looks better without relying on the allegedly
experimental interlaced FFT/motion detection, and more importantly, I
can use the same transcoder profile on 1080i and 720p content (and it
won't barf on 480i either).

I'm currently using bobdeint, but I'd use an adaptive deinterlace
method if I could... does anyone know if there are deinterlace methods
available in transcoding that aren't available for playback (e.g.
adaptive filters)?