[mythtv-users] lirc, ATI Remote Wonder Plus, no irw/irrecord response, FC5

Cymen Vig cymenvig at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 23:41:07 UTC 2006

On 10/17/06, Indulis Bernsteins <indulis.b at au1.ibm.com> wrote:

> Laptop IR options- I am running the MCE remote control option, but may swap
> to IR keyboard emulation.
>
> 1) Serial IR receiver- build it yourself or buy one ready made (quite an
> easy thing to build if you can use a soldering iron).
> 2) Microsoft MCE remote control and USB receiver- pretty easy to set up,
> works OK once you put the "responsiveness patch" onto the mceusb2 driver.
> 3) Buy an IR keyboard with USB IR receiver dongle, and train a remote
> control to emit signals that emulate keypresses.  Search the web for JP1
> remote controls, there are downloadable protocols that have keyboard codes
> (PC to One-for-all JP1 remote control transfer requires build/buy a serial
> or parallel or USB "JP1 cable").

You need to patch the lirc_atiusb.c module to allow the Remote Wonder
Plus to work. The initialization sequence it is sending out works for
the I and II versions of the remote but not the Remote Wonder Plus. So
for lirc 8.0:

1) Grab lirc 0.8: http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/lirc/lirc-0.8.0.tar.bz2
2) untar
3) edit lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_atiusb/lirc_atiusb.c

--- ORIGINAL ---
static char init1[] = {0x01, 0x00, 0x20, 0x14};
static char init2[] = {0x01, 0x00, 0x20, 0x14, 0x20, 0x20, 0x20};

--- WORKS WITH REMOTE WONDER PLUS ---
static char init1[] = {0x80, 0x050, 0x1b, 0x15};
static char init2[] = {0x14, 0x20, 0x24, 0x15, 0x83, 0x03, 0x84};

4) build lirc (do ./configure to set to the atiusb driver)

You can grab a working lircd.conf for it here:

http://raw-io.superbios.com/rwp/

My original writeup is missing in action after a webhost got hacked
but it is mirrored at this site with more information:

http://wbond.net/remote_wonder_plus_linux/

Good luck. The remote works well especially when the antenna wire is extended.