[mythtv-users] Volume Controls : Universal (cross-application) control?

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 19:41:32 UTC 2006

On 18/10/06, M@ <msheppard at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a way to map two keys to volume up/down for ALL applications in
> myth?  I either forget what the keys are, or forget what app I am in (did I
> rip this DVD?  Did I download this movie?) and I end up fast forwarding or
> something trying to guess what keys to use.
>
> I see that aumix controls the sound card directly - maybe I can map some
> keys to it somehow?

If you use the Internal media player for your non-LiveTV/recorded
videos (instead of xine or mplayer) your audio's volume control uses
the regular MythTV defined buttons. The internal player can play your
DVDs, external media files supported by ffmpeg etc.

If you still want to use separate applications, you should be able to
easily create a suitable lircrc file with sections for each
application, using the same common buttons on your remote for the same
commands (Vol+/Vol- etc). I did this for xine before the Internal
player added the capability to play other media files.

If your ALSA audio driver itself does not allow MythTV's internal
volume controls to control your master/PCM mixer properly (the
intel_hda driver is the one causing the problem in Mike's linked
thread) then you should follow Mike's sage advice in that thread and
use an external solution which should work regardless of the app you
are using.

Nick

MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/