[mythtv-users] Strange IRBlaster errors -- works erratically

Nathan Keltner shiftnato at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 18:18:02 UTC 2006

I hope this isn't an inappropriate place to ask this question, but
I've asked on the KnoppMyth forums, and I'm hoping my question/problem
will get more visibility on this list.

I'm running KnoppMyth R5D1 (its based on 2.6.17) and am attempting to
control a Dish Network receiver via an IRBlaster.

Any time the device comes up from boot, MythTV displays only snow.
So, I close out of MythFrontEnd, ps -A | grep mythbackend, kill it,
shutting down mythbackend. (Is there a better way to close out of
mythbackend, btw?

If I look at the log, I can see that irblaster was erroring with
"/usr/bin/irsend: could not connect to socket" and "connection
refused" errors.

KnoppMyth comes with a shell script to help install the blaster,
irblaster.sh, and when I run it, it correctly installs the blaster and
I can now change channels with it via the command line.

So I boot mythbackend (which performs an irsend test that does not
error out).  I fire up mythfrontend, and end up with snow again.
Close it out and look at the log and see that the mythbackend process
was reporting irsend errors again.

All of this tells me that it appears to be working until the frontend
starts, and then it gets hosed.

Here are the settings within mythtv-setup that are possible involved:

External Channel Change Command: /etc/irblaster/channel_change.sh
Preset tuner to channel: 3 (* the channel my dish receiver is outputting to)
Starting channel: 4 (* the first channel I have in DishTV)

If I obliterate the External Channel Change Command and Preset Tuner
to Channel fields, and change the starting channel to 3, I can boot it
up and it gives me video.

If I shut it down, put the fields back in, boot them all back up, it
starts correctly with no errors, I have live picture, but I can't
change channels.  When I close it out, I see the irsend errors yet
again.

Something in my mythfrontend is breaking something to do with irsend,
but I dont know what to check now.  Any advice?  Any configurations I
can post to the list that might help?

shifty