[mythtv-users] Lix Systems Barebones -- thoughts on it for a QUIET frontend

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Oct 17 21:19:29 UTC 2006

mythtv at shelfspace.com wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> My current frontend/backend dell box w/ 500gb of harddrives in it is
> getting WAAYYYY to loud for the living room, so my wife wants me to
> move it to the basement and replace it with a whisper quiet front-end.
>
> I've done a lot of research, and am having a hard time finding
> examples of front-end only boxes that list exactly what components are
> in there so that I could build/price it myself.
>
> In a moment of (weakness)/inspiration, I came across the Lixsystems
> barebones:
> http://www.linuxtechtoys.com/ltt/product_info.php/cPath/24_25/products_id/235
> $349 for everything but harddrive/cpu/memory.
>
> I've checked the archives and haven't seen any reviews (I think it
> only came out 1 month ago).  So, has anybody seen it?  Is it that
> quiet?  Is it that worth it?
>
> Failing that, if you are currently running a FrontEnd only box that is
> quiet, can you send me your Hardware specs (like which case, which
> motherboard, which cpu, onboard video out, etc) so that I could pretty
> much use it as a shopping list at newegg.  :)
>
> For the responses that come to me directly, I will post a summary
> within a week to let you all know what I've heard.
>
> thanks,
> mark
I'm running a VIA SP1300 as a FE/BE, but this board would make a great
SILENT FE, booting from an IDE flash and/or PXE, provided you only need
standard definition for your TV. The mb will do better than SD to a
monitor, using the VGA output, but only SD through S-video.

These can be powered from a power brick using a pico power plugin power
supply. With remote storage you need have NO revolving parts (except DVD
when wanted).

I am planning on splitting the BE into another box and using this box as
a dedicated silent FE,

--
              R. Geoffrey Newbury
            Barrister and Solicitor