[mythtv-users] Yellow Dog 5.0 with PS3 as a front end?

raphael rpooser at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 17:24:08 UTC 2006

JP Bussoli wrote:
> On 10/16/06, *Indulis Bernsteins* <indulis.b at au1.ibm.com
> <mailto:indulis.b at au1.ibm.com>> wrote:
>

>     >Being able to use this unit with it's Blue Ray disc as a front
>     end seems to
>     >be a very sweet system indeed.
>
>     Blue ray = lots of DRM + more region coding hassles
>
>     Just say NO (maybe if noone buys any Blue Ray discs they will get
>     the idea that we don't like DRM)
>
>     Indulis
>

> Good to know.
>
> I'll stick with my generic Antec install then.
>
> JP

It is true that blueray is chock full of DRM.  Most likely you'd be able
to use the blueray player in it's native PS3 form, whatever that OS is,
but the chances of you being able to use it in Yellow Dog with mythtv
are pretty close to nil at least for a while, rendering the enticement
of the blueray player for a frontend moot.  That said, you should be
able to build a nice frontend machine for much less than $500, or
whatever the PS3 is set to cost.
Raphael
Raphael