[mythtv-users] NTP drift...

Romain Kang romain at kzsu.stanford.edu
Mon Oct 16 22:11:43 UTC 2006

On Sat, Oct 14, 2006 at 11:21:29PM -0400, John Brooks wrote:
> MythTV, in general, runs just smoothly. Nevertheless, I'll try turning off
> ntp for a few days and see how the system deals with it. If, for some
> reason, I do find there's a hardware issue-- the hardware clock is just slow
> or keeps resetting, for instance-- do I need to replace the motherboard? Or
> can the battery on the motherboard be replaced?

I agree with David Brodbeck's assessment about your torrent traffic.
It sounds like your hardware is fine.  It's just that you can't
trust NTP under those circumstances.

However, to answer the hypothetical case, it's sometimes possible
to make some OS adjustments to get around various hardware tics.
For instance, if there's a bad APM, ACPI, APIC or other glitches,
you can get Grub to pass args like "apm=off acpi=off vga=normal noapic"
and see if that helps any.  Find a kernel maven if you wish to know
a gamut of possibilities...

Romain