[mythtv-users] Problem accessing files on remote backend

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Mon Oct 16 20:59:27 UTC 2006

malcolm torrent wrote:
> Dear List
> I've built another mythsetup for remote playback of recording on my
> backend. I followed Jarod's guide and at the mythsetup stage simply
> set the IP address of the remote backend.
> When i run the local frontend it loads and displays the recording and
> even get the preview thumbnails.
> However, when I click one of the file to watch it the screen flashes
> to a black and back to the recording list.
> Can anyone offer a crumb or a clue.
> Mal.
>
> The only other thing I can offer is that the simple mplayer test [from
> Jarod's guide] also fails. This is probably related the the ATI
> drivers i installed so I can get TVout running.
> [partial extract from the frontend log]
> 2006-10-16 21:10:27.079 Connected to database 'mythconverg' at host: localhost
> 2006-10-16 21:10:27.109 TV: Attempting to change from None to
> WatchingPreRecorde                              d
> 2006-10-16 21:10:27.114 RemoteFile::openSocket(control socket):
>                         Could not connect to server "" @ port -1
> 2006-10-16 21:10:27.114 RemoteFile::openSocket(file data socket):
>                         Could not connect to server "" @ port -1
> 2006-10-16 21:10:27.114 RingBuffer::RingBuffer(): Failed to open
> remote file (my
> th://:/3030_20061011215800.mpg)
> [snip]

Your remote frontend is connecting to a database on localhost.   That
is, of course, wrong.  Fix your database settings and be sure that on
your backend, it is not configured as localhost.  It must be configured
to know and advertise itself as an IP address.  You can read the
documentation on mythtv.org about changing your hostname if your system
is set up as localhost.

Kevin