[mythtv-users] Internal Video player OSD almost unreadable

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 16 15:26:46 UTC 2006

> On 10/15/06, Isaac Richards <ijr at case.edu> wrote:
>
>> The OSD is drawn at video resolution.  So, when playing low resolution
>> video
>> files, as this guy is (548x244, as earlier in this thread), you get a
>> low
>> resolution, bad looking OSD.
>
> So does the OSD in MythVideo look ugly for all of you guys with the
> Internal player when playing "low resolution videos"? Most of the
> files I have seen so far are max 640x480, so still at a quite low
> resolution.
>
> Adam

It looks okay at 720x480 (SD TV "resolution"), but when you enable Bob
deinterlacing, it looks absolutely horrible.  The reason for this is
because the OSD is drawn on top of the video, in the same layer.
Unfortunately, this is not likely to be fixed for a while, because it
requires somebody to write the code for doing an OpenGL or Composite
Extension overlay.

You could try to find a GeForce 5200 (or other 5-series card) and enable
the Chromakey OSD, that looks great.  (And for people watching SD in HD
resolutions, it looks great there as well).

I recently upgraded to a new system with built-in 6150 onboard video for
my frontend - I'm actually considering getting a PCI (not PCE-E, can't
seem to find them anywhere, except maybe eBay) 5200 series card so that I
can use the Chromakey hack again.

-- Joe

Signup at www.doteasy.com