[mythtv-users] Minimum front end specs.....

Marko Nurmenniemi marko.nurmenniemi at kolumbus.fi
Sun Oct 15 07:05:28 UTC 2006

Chris Henderson wrote:

> On 10/15/06, *David Brodbeck* <gull at gull.us <mailto:gull at gull.us>> wrote:
>
>     Chris Henderson wrote:
>     > So my question is this.
>     > Is a P3 600 fast enough to run a V.20 frontend with open GL?
>
>     Well, here's an "it works for me" type response.  I was recently
>     playing
>     with a P3 500 set up as a front end -- an old Dell Dimension XPS
>     T500,
>     running SuSE Linux.  It seemed to work fine, at least for analog TV
>     playback at 480x480.
>

> Well i guess its better than i no. thanks for repying.
> so i guess it does stand a chance, if it takes a AGP card.
> But in the end i am going to get it for nothing, so i bit of playing
> around wont cost me that much.
>
> CH
This machine is one four FE's I have in my house.

A P3/600 with 384M memory and FULL Fedora 5 running Gnome, Apache,
Samba, FTP, Printer server etc.
It works just fine as a FE (~80% processor load) even with the RageII
internal display HW. I have not made any effort to customize the Fedora
drivers for this machine. Yesterday there was a bit of stutter in
picture but noticed later that I had Firefox, Thunderbird and OpenOffice
open on the other screen while running Myth.

This week I did installed Fedora/Myth to a VIA EPIA M10000.

The signal is standard definition but the resolutions of the displays
are 1400x1050 (P3) and 1024x768 (EPIA) with the VGA connector.
I'm trying to get 1280x720 to EPIA because the TV has that native
resolution but I'm finding it difficult to achieve.
But as said, it works at least in the non HD world. No TV cards in any
of these boxes.

-M