[mythtv-users] Multiple LIRC (serial) transmitters on FC5

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 10:05:19 UTC 2006

On 12/10/06, Robin Gilks <g8ecj at gilks.org> wrote:

> > Hi all,
> > Using Jarods guide I have lirc working fine on (either) of my two serial
> > ports, driving a homebrew serial transmitter, I cant seem to get lirc to
> > drive two transmitters (one on each com port).
> > I have done some googling and an unable to find information precise
> > enough to achieve this, is anyone else doing this on FC5? and more
> > importantly be able to share their config files -
> > /etc/modprobe.conf
> > /etc/systemconfig/lircd
> > /etc/systemconfig/modules/lirc.modules
>
> Silly question but why 2?
>
> I'm using one instance of lircd on a homebrew transmitter with 3 IR LEDs
> on it - one for the STB, one for the TV and one for the theatre amp. The
> codes don't overlap so no problem there. If you are using 2 STB then is
> there an option to set an alternate code set on one of them and just use 2
> LEDs in series as I've done?

If you cannot use different remote codesets for both boxes, and need
to use 2 separate serial transmitters, you may need to build 2
independent installations of LIRC, as LIRC previously would not work
when 2 separate devices needed to use the same kernel module
(lirc_serial in this case).

I think it is now possible (haven't done this personally but have seen
write-ups) to run 2 instances of lircd (one per device) from the same
installation of LIRC, which simplifies things no end. I can't say 100%
that this works though, as I've always built a separate instance of
LIRC when faced with this situation. I'm sure there was a link to such
a write-up on the MythTV Wiki, but I can't see the link anymore:

http://mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Using_an_IR_Blaster_with_MythTV

Building a separate installation of LIRC:
http://losdos.dyndns.org:8080/public/mythtv-info/MythTV_DISH_IR_LED_TX_via_Modified_LIRC.html

Nick

MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/