[mythtv-users] power off and on frontend only with remote

Mario Limonciello mario.mailing at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 19:24:41 UTC 2006

On 9/17/06, Allan Stirling <Dibblahmythml0015 at pendor.org> wrote:

> Allan Wilson wrote:
> >> On 9/12/06, Allan Stirling <Dibblahmythml0015 at pendor.org> wrote:
> >> The MCE remote (MCEUSB2) does send a wake-up. You need to
> >> configure things correctly and probably be in STR or
> >> hibernate, rather than actually switched off.
> >
> > I have the MCEUSB2 remote and putting my computer in hibernate mode so
> any
> > more details on how this works and if you are using it would be great.
> >
> > Allan
>
> Firstly, you need a motherboard that is able to power the
> USB ports from +5vsb - The standby line. Quite a few are -
> Check your manual.
>
> Then you need to do the following (or similar) in one of
> your startup scripts:
> echo USB1 >/proc/acpi/wakeup
>
> This sets the ACPI subsystem so it's expecting wakeups from
> USB1 - You may need another number.
>
> Then I put the PC into standby - In reality it's a bit more
> complex than this, but it starts like:
>
> echo mem >/sys/power/state
>
> Then you *should* be able to power back on with your remote.
> Various things may make it more complex - X may need stopped
> before suspend and restarted afterwards, etc. Some drivers
> don't handle suspend too well at all.
>
> I'd really suggest STR rather than Hibernate - It's so much
> faster to resume and the difference in power consumption
> isn't too bad.

I spent a long night last night making this work for my setup.  I have to
say its pretty amazing now that I have it working though.

For Suspending:
I ended up setting it up so that I use the Ubuntu interface
(/etc/default/acpi-support) for configuring STR.
1) I stop both lirc and gdm services.
2) I remove all lirc modules and my nvidia modules.
3) I disabled vbetool save and post usage.

Now, when the machine is running I set up irexec to launch a shell script
that I wrote when pressing power, /usr/local/bin/turnoff_computer.sh.
This will send a signal to turn off my reciever and switch it to the other
commonly used input when I'm not using the computer.  It also executes
/etc/acpi/sleep.sh. (The Ubuntu sleep script).  My LCD TV goes into a low
power mode once the computer suspends.

To make the computer wake back up, all I had to do was change a jumper on
the motherboard to provide +5VSB voltage.  I checked the power supply, and
it supplied 2A which should have been plenty enough.

Now, when I press power on the remote, the computer wakes up, and
automatically logs into gdm as gdm starts.  The gdm session I have powers
back on the receiver, and starts myth back up.

Everything works nearly perfectly now, and when not watching TV - my living
room is silent :)