[mythtv-users] Total system crash when going to EPG from LiveTV (orvice-versa)

Matthias Thyroff lists at Thyroff.net
Wed Oct 11 19:09:10 UTC 2006

Am Wed, 11 Oct 2006 20:01:30 +0200
schrieb "Mike Hoehn" <bit at birnehh.shacknet.nu>:

> Mike:
>
> >	When entering or leaving the EPG from LiveTV, I estimate I
> >	have
> about 20%
> > odds of the whole system crashing. It happens mid-refresh, with
> > half the
> screen
> > showing a frame of LiveTV and the other half showing the EPG. No
> > keyboard
> or
> > mouse input is accepted and the only way to get the machine back is
> power it
> > down and restart it. Also, the database has to be repaired
> > afterword to
> make
> > LiveTV work again. This started happening when I upgraded to 0.20.
> > I was previously running pre-0.20 SVN code that I'd compiled myself
> > without any problems. Here's the background on the box:
>

> I've had the same. Entering the EPG is no problem, but leaving back to
> LiveTV crashed the whole system. It still reacted to a ping, but
> apart from that the system was dead. Not even telnet was possible.
>
> I have to admit, though, I don't remember which version of MythTV I
> had that problem with. And I'm not feeling adventurous enough to try
> it again...
>
> I remember the screen was split into half, one part displaying the
> EPG, the other half something else. And the small Live-TV box was
> black with some white text in it. And I didn't have to repair the
> database...
>
> No Ubuntu here. Which version of the nvidia-driver are you using? I'm
> using 1.0-8774.
>
> Anyone else having (had) this problem?
>
>   Mike

I had the problem; if I remember well, I solved it by removing all
ubuntu nvidia packages and installing the nvidia drivers from the newest
version from the nvidia download page.

I also have some stability problems which seem to be much better if I
do not use OpenGL (for example, shutting down does not work as well as
before; with OpenGL when choosing "Shut down" always the menues
disappear but the background then stays forever). But I do not use the
system very much and I have not collected any useful data.