[mythtv-users] Information/Recommendations on a new MythTV

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Oct 11 16:16:28 UTC 2006

On Oct 11, 2006, at 9:07 AM, Brian Wood wrote:

> It certainly could be a problem, but it hasn't really been so for me.
> I have a single-user Myth box and almost never auto-expire things, so
> deletions are generally manual. I just pay attention to what's
> happening if I need to delete a long file, and the worst case is I
> get a second or two of lost data on a recording, not a major issue
> for me, no worse than a drop-out on an analog video tape.
>
> As I said, adequate buffering should go a long way to eliminating
> this problem. Multi-Gigabyte video files were not really in vogue
> when EXT-2 was designed, and most applications do not have real-time
> requirements.
>
> But if choosing another FS eliminates even that minor problem, with
> no downside, I'd do that if I had it to do over again.

I just wanted to point out a feature in .20 that allows incremental
deletes of video files to alleviate the slow delete problem on ext2/3
file systems. With this enabled, it deletes the file in chunks over
time. I haven't tried it since I use jfs on my video drive, but
others have had success with it.