[mythtv-users] Picture Quality...

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Oct 9 22:31:39 UTC 2006

On Oct 9, 2006, at 4:10 PM, Brad Fuller wrote:

> Interesting. My Philips TV (TP368ICI) has a tuner that is far superior
> to my PVR-250.
> The TV was ~$1k new.
> There is essentially no difference in the input between the two.

To eliminate input signal differences have you tried swapping the two
cables and making sure the TV still looks better?

I've heard a lot of people say their TVs have better tuners but I've
not noticed this myself.

I really find it hard to believe that special tuner modules are
manufactured for capture cards, it makes more sense that they are
simply using tuners that are available for TV sets, VCRs etc.

Perhaps the TV sets have better IF stages, better AGC or better
demodulators, thus resulting in better-looking pictures, and it is
not the tuner module itself at all.