[mythtv-users] Help with Xbox linux and mythtv

chris at cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Mon Oct 9 19:30:01 UTC 2006

On Mon, Oct 09, 2006 at 01:11:56AM -0600, kim gross wrote:
> >I get the unsupported error myself but x still starts. I suspect that
> >you upgraded from XF86 to the new Xorg drivers. AFAIK this is a known
> >problem as the new drivers do not support the xbox hardware yet. See if
> >downgrading back to the XF86 drivers fixes your problem.
> I hate to ask this, but how do I downgrade to the old drivers?  I have
> been googling for a few days now and have not figured out how to.

Debian no longer supports XFree86 *at all*, so you can't downgrade
using apt unless you find an unofficial source.

When I first upgraded from 0.18 to 0.19 the Myth packages required
a library that required Xorg, so my XBox dutifully upgraded itself
to the point where it wouldn't start X and I had no frontend in my
living room for about a month.  Eventually I reinstalled Xebian
1.1.4 and this time when I upgraded to 0.19 the dependencies were
different and now I have it running on XFree86.  Needless to say,
now that I have 0.19 running again I'm taking a "it ain't broke, so
don't fix it" approach to the XBox.  I don't intend on installing
0.20 until my other machines reach the point where Myth 0.19 is
holding me back from installing some other critical package.  To
prevent accidental breakage I've marked 0.19 as "hold" so that it
will block any other incompatible automatic upgrades.

Do you still have your original install disk?  If so then starting
over is the easiest (if not only) way to downgrade successfully.