[mythtv-users] Xbox frontend - what features do I need

Fred Squires fsquires at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 13:22:22 UTC 2006

On 10/9/06, Guillaume Membré <guillaume.ml at gmail.com> wrote:

> After reading all your posts, I still have a question : is it possible
> to use the xbox as a "normal" frontend : ie watching live
> tv/recordings/videos(divx, xvid)/dvds...
> I see that some people have some issue about speed in menus : is it
> really slow ?
> 64 Mb of ram are enough to run X + mythfrontend ?

I've used an xbox as a frontend for a few years now.  The menus are slow but
not unbearably so.  I haven't tried .20 though, only .18.1 (and .16 and .17
if that matters).

My main problem was that xine wouldn't start consistently (it would crash on
startup due to a sound error).  It would sometimes take 3 or 4 tries to get
it to start.  I'm not sure if this is common or just a bad unit, bad build
of xine or what, but it finally drove me to upgrade to a real pc frontend.
The xbox will be setup with .20 and put downstairs soon though.

--
It was supposed to be so Easy.