[mythtv-users] Cannot access recorded video from remote front end

kim gross kgross at jensalt.com
Mon Oct 9 04:43:18 UTC 2006

Chris Pinkham wrote:

>* On Sun Oct 08, 2006 at 09:46:45PM -0600, kim gross wrote:
>

>>>OK, next question.  Have you recently changed or swapped hostnames on
>>>your boxes?
>>>

>>Host names are set to be unique for each machine.  The backend was the
>>default locahost.locahost, but I changed it to mythtv.jensalt.com, but I
>>believe I did that after the problem started hopeing that it would help
>>the problem.  If the host name was changed what would I need to do to
>>fix the problem?
>>

>If you have only one backend, then you can run the following SQL command
>substituting in the proper hostname of your backend:
>
>update recorded set hostname = 'YOURBACKENDHOSTNAME';
>
>Make sure your frontend can use this hostname to see the backend as well.

I do only have one backend, I ran the command you listed. mysql said it
updated 147 rows.

The hostname and IP was added to my hosts file so now I can ping
mythtv.jensalt.com and it works.

But I still get the same error.

I don't think it should make any difference but I do have the
/video/store directory structure shared on both the backend and frontend
(just for mythdvd) so if it did not want to stream the file it should be
able to read it from the share.

>>I am confused though, why would the preview window find the file without
>>any problems while the main player could not?
>>

>The preview window used the old way of finding the recording file, it did
>not use the newer method so it currently always streams the file from
>the master backend instead of reading it locally if it is available.
>
>--

Is the newer method new to .20?  This problem showed up either after the
.20 upgrade or after one of the .20 fixes upgrades from atrpms.   I'm
not positive when it started since I do not normally use this frontend,
but while getting my xbox updated I screwed up X and so started testing
on the other frontend and I found this problem

Kim