[mythtv-users] Picture Quality...

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Oct 9 01:39:53 UTC 2006

On Oct 8, 2006, at 5:29 PM, Brad Fuller wrote:

> Brian Wood wrote:
>> On Oct 8, 2006, at 4:35 PM, Andy Speagle wrote:
>>
> Hmm... I disagree. While there might be something to the "weird
> lines",
> in general tuner's on PC cards are usually inferior to ones in
> televisions purchased today. Comparing tuner to tuner, the television
> tuner will win out in most cases, don't you agree?
> brad

I guess I don't agree. Other than motion artifacts from mpeg encoding
I do not see any significant difference between my TV tuners and the
ones in my PVR-150 cards, or the tuners in my Plextor USB units for
that matter.

TV tuners are pretty much commodity items these days, and whether
they are going into TV sets or tuner cards they are essentially the
same thing. I haven't seen any real difference between them.

I would expect that a card whose sole function in life is to tune TV
signals would have a better tuner than an expensive display to which
a tuner is just an add-on accessory, but perhaps that's too logical.