[mythtv-users] Are PVR-500's safe to buy new right now?

Trey Thompson treythompson at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 20:43:07 UTC 2006

All looks good to me on my 500.

Troy Smith wrote:
> How's the picture quality?
> Are use you using an amp?
>
> On 10/6/06, *Andrew Davis* <andrew at nccomp.com
> <mailto:andrew at nccomp.com>> wrote:
>
>     I bought one three weeks ago and it works just fine... running
>     Myth .20
>     on FC5
>
>     Troy Smith wrote:
>     > k, so I have a myth box almost all set up and ready to go.  Only
>     thing
>     > is, I only have a pcHDTV 3000 card in there, so no cable, and I want
>     > more than one tuner anyways.  What I'd really like to get is a
>     > PVR-500, but after all the recent noise concerning the tuners in
>     them,
>     > I can't pull the trigger.
>     >
>     > So, what's the current status of the PVR-500's with the new tuners?
>     > Are they safe to use? I can buy an amplifier if that fixes the
>     issues,
>     > but I haven't seen anything conclusively saying that'd be the case.
>     >
>     >
>     >

I've got one of the newer samsung tuners. Interestingly the quality
wasn't that great until the 20 release. I believe the channel
frequencies were adjusted. Anyway all the problems I had with it has
been fixed and it definately wasn't ivtv related. I'm not seeing any
reason to shy away from them any more, just make sure you have a good
strong signal coming in to the capture card due to the internal
splitting that weakens the signal otherwise.