[mythtv-users] Information/Recommendations on a new MythTV

Mike Daugird MDaugird at erdman.com
Fri Oct 6 19:46:15 UTC 2006

I have three computers with VIA (KT333 a KT400 and a KT600) chipset and
an AMD processor.

I have never had a VIA related problems. I have a PVR 350, and PVR 150.

The only VIA problem I have heard of is the ones with integrated video.
HTH

Subject: [mythtv-users]  Information/Recommendations on a new MythTV
build

Hello all,

I am looking at building a Myth-TV system from my current gaming box. I
have done some research and found that the nForce2 chip sets (and from
what I have seen nForce4 as well) have problems under Linux. I have also
read up on Myth-TV hardware and read that VIA chip sets are to be
avoided. I am thinking about replacing my current nForce2 based
motherboard with a Foxconn K7S741GXMG-6L
motherboard. This has a SIS based north and south bridge as well as an
AC97 audio card on board. With this motherboard I was thinking about
getting Hauppauge WinTV PVR-350. Are there any known problems with these
pieces of hardware that make them undesirable?

On the software side of things I have heard that getting MythTV to run
under Debian Testing is hard. Should I just go to something like
KnoppixMyth? I would prefer to stay with Debian testing as then I could
still use my box for Web Browsing and IMing and email too.
Any information/assistance/recommendations on these issues are
appreciated.
-Thymus