[mythtv-users] live HDTV choppy, but recording in progress good

James D jamesdtrance at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 6 16:19:41 UTC 2006

I have a VIA SP13000 based system, 512MB RAM, and using the onboard video.
  When I try to watch live TV on HD stations the sound is very choppy, the video isn't perfect but is very watchable. However, if I schedule a recording and then start watching the recording with mplayer, it plays just fine - same video quality, but perfect audio. I'm thinking myth's internal player just isn't as good, the difference I've noticed when monitoring the system during playback is that when watching live TV there is a lot of CPU being used under "wa" on the CPU line in top, whereas watching a recording in progress with mplayer there is almost none.

  Has anyone else experienced this?
  Has anyone been successful with HDTV on an SP13000 / CN400 system?
  Is there a way to hack mythtv to use mplayer for live TV?

  Incedently, on that last point playing live tv from an xterm with something like "mplayer dvb://WOFL-DT" also yields bad quality and it crashes after ~30s, it's only when i play a recorded file that it works.