[mythtv-users] DVD Rips on NAS?

Brian Wood beww1 at mac.com
Fri Oct 6 12:04:21 UTC 2006

Al Banks wrote:
> Just curious, is anyone storing their DVD rips on any sort of NAS
> device?  Are you satisified with performance over (10/100/1000?) vs.
> an IDE or SATA attached enclosure?
>
> Thanks!
> -Al

I've stored various videos on various NAS devices, not DVD rips (that's
illegal here) but mpegs, avis andother formats.

A 100-base-T network is plenty fast enough for SD assuming that there is
not enough other traffic on the network to cause slowdowns. Obviously
the server needs to be fast enough as well but unless you are running
Samba on a Commodore-64 or something like that it should be OK.

In general NFS is better than Samba if you have a choice in the matter.

There are also the NDAS devices that operate on a non-TCP/IP level, they
seem to work fine as well.