[mythtv-users] Reasoning...help....

Andrew Davis andrew at nccomp.com
Fri Oct 6 00:27:57 UTC 2006

mythtv at foghorn.rave-tech.com.au wrote:

> Myth:
>
>   - Will store your whole CD collection and let you setup playlists
>   - Plays the cool arcade machines you remember with XMAME
>   - Strips the commercials (this is seriously good) these take up ~ 25%
>   - Plays (and/or rips) your DVD's
>   - Looks cool when you techie mates come over
>

> Regards
> Marty

Or just use my favorite... "baby, you spend how much money a year on
perfume, shoes, purses, etc. Why can't I spend a little on a gadget???"

Of course, the other justification has nothing to do with the
capabilities of MythTV, as the other reason is purely "geek factor"...
basically, spending $400 instead of $25 allows you to know you built out
a system that can rival most commercial and cable company provided DVRs
and Tivo type solutions, with a little SlingBox added into the mix if
you so choose. And best of it all, if it fails, you can fix it yourself
fairly quickly. Its all about the sense of accomplishment... of knowing
*you* (not some iPOD sweatshop in Korea) made it... of knowing you can
fix it... of being able to impress your friends with your geek suave...
of being able to run a frontend on a laptop running Linux in VMWare so
you don't have miss Battlestar Galactica when you get stuck at work late
(assuming you have the bandwidth and firewall ports in your control).

Think Mastercard commercial... video card: $40, three hard drives: $120,
motherboard: $30... being able to impress your friends while playing
recorded TV on your plasma in the garage while shooting pool and knowing
your wife is watching her recorded soaps in the living room while your
still-living-at-home college kid is watching pron from a ripped DVD:
PRICELESS! :)