[mythtv-users] Wishlist feature for adding a hard drive

Stephen Boddy stephen.boddy at btinternet.com
Thu Oct 5 21:50:15 UTC 2006

On Thursday 05 October 2006 20:15, Andrew Davis wrote:
> > While that may be true, the main point I'm getting at is that RAID5 won't
> > improve write speeds, because instead of a single write to a single disk,
> > there are at least two reads, a calculation (however short), followed by
> > two writes. (Obviously this is ignoring caches/buffers etc.)
> >

> So you get a h/w RAID controller with good Linux driver support... such
> as the older ICP Vortex (not Intel owned) cards or an AMI MegaRAID (now
> LSI)... though there's also SATA versions available from Adaptec and
> Promise with Linux support.

Absolutely. I would love one, but they cost quite a lot for home users hence
the tendency among hobbyists/home users toward software RAID, and thus my
highlighting the incorrect blanket statement regards RAID5 write speeds.

Here in the UK an 8 port SATA hardware RAID card will set me back around £400
(~US$750), and that's if I can find one that doesn't use some sort of server
slot (PCI-X).
--
Steve Boddy