[mythtv-users] Restoring backup after transcode

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Oct 5 15:01:08 UTC 2006

On 10/05/06 10:21, John Pilkington wrote:

>John Pilkington wrote:
>

>>This is a 'backup' query after Scott's seems to have produced no response.
>>
>>Transcoding from a DVB MPEG2 recording to MPEG4 changes the file type
>>from .mpg to .nuv    The old file can be retained, but the database
>>seems to forget about it.  If you don't like the new file, how can you
>>get transcode to start again from the original while still retaining all
>>the  metadata?

You can delete the transcoded recording, then use
myth.rebuilddatabase.pl to insert the original recording.  If you name
the show appropriately (i.e. what the transcoded recording was
called--including the .nuv extension--assuming you don't rename
recordings with mythrename.pl), it will find the title, subtitle,
description from the database and the channel and starttime from the
filename.

>It seems this isn't something that's on the tip of everyone's tongue, so
>I did a quick experiment.  The database knows that the current file is a
>.nuv file.  I probably don't want it, but I renamed it in case I change
>my mind.  Then I made a backup of the original recording (by now called
>.mpg.old) and renamed it as .nuv

Always good to backup before making these changes.

>This played within mythtv, but I couldn't edit it: said there was no

You rebuild the seek information (index) with "mythcommflag --rebuild -f
/path/to/recording".  After that, you can do commercial flagging with
"mythcommflag -f /path/to/recording"

Mike