[mythtv-users] lirc help

Jake Sallee spark at breathedeeply.com
Thu Oct 5 01:55:25 UTC 2006

On Monday 02 October 2006 19:52, mythtv-users wrote:
> > On Sunday 01 October 2006 17:08, mythtv-users wrote:
> >> That's cos it's wrong file :-)
> >> lircd.conf is for lirc, there should be another file (presumably
> >> /etc/lircrc in this case) that tells what to map the buttons to for
> >> mplayer.
> >>
> >> The best way to see if lirc is working is to use irw, that should tell
> >> you
> >> if lirc is working as it will echo every button press
>
> <snip>
>
> > Ok, I tried using irw, that didn't work.  No output was received.
> >
> > So i tired irrecord, with no such luck:
> >

> > ~>irrecord --device=/dev/lircd ~/Desktop/irrecord.txt
> > <snip>
> > irrecord: no data for 10 secs, aborting
> > irrecord: gap not found, can't continue
>
> <snip>
>
> > input: i2c IR (Hauppauge) as /class/input/input6
>
> <snip>
>
> Righty then, what driver are you using? You should be using dev/input as
> shown above from your startup log, I'd run it manually first to check it
> works, try stopping all lirc processes and running
>
> # irrecord  --driver=dev/input --device=/dev/input/event6
> /home/spark/Desktop/irrecord.txt
>
> Then if that works setup lirc to use dev/input (use /etc/sysconfig/lirc)
>
> HTH
>
> David

Thanks for your help David, I am a step closer.  I really appreciate it.

I got it to work by running:

# irrecord --driver=dev/input --device=/dev/input/event4
~/Desktop/irrecord.txt

So it looks like it's setup with /dev/input/event4  (ir links to event4)

Is that right?

Am I supposed to run it as root or normal user?  It wouldn't run as a normal
user.

Jake Sallee  spark at breathedeeply.com
www.breathedeeply.com

Registered Linux User #358012  http://counter.li.org