[mythtv-users] GeForce 6150, SPDIF, digital passthru - Success!

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 4 17:06:28 UTC 2006

> I have the Asus M2NPV-VM.  Main problems I had were getting normal analog
> audio out.  I could always get SPDIF ok.  I had to upgrade alsa to 1.0.12
> and disable all the passthrough settings in Myth.
>
> I seem to get really good cpu usage (~10%) for 1080i HDTV without XvMC.
> Seems like if I used XvMC I would use 60% of one 3800+ X2 core and have
> prebuffer pauses.  Seems pretty stable now other than the Myth segfaults
> I'm getting.
>
> Anyone else seeing segfaults on a regular basis?  I am seeing them now
> while just watching some prerecorded 1080i MPEG4 recordings for a few
> minutes.
>
> Another thing I would like to see if anyone has working is lm_sensors on
> the  M2NPV-VM.  I have the latest lm_sensors and used the newest stable
> kernel and it still doesn't work.  I can run sensors-detect but when
> running sensors with the loaded modules it doesn't see the sensors.

I'm also using an Asus M2NPV-VM, with Fedora Core 5 x86_64, using Axel's
RPMs for MythTV.

I noticed that I had to upgrade to ALSA 1.0.12 as well - using 1.0.11 had
an annoying high-pitched squeal.

I'm not using SPDIF (I just bought the SPDIF bracket yesterday on eBay),
and I don't have a digital receiver, but I've had no problems with the
analog out after setting the mixer and output devices properly (mixer is
"default", output is "ALSA:default"), other than seeing a message to the
effect of "Can't find master mixer".

I'm not seeing any segfaults, although if I pause HDTV for too long, I
will get a series of messages that the "video took too long to pause".
Restarting X (Ctrl+Alt+Backspace) is the only way to fix that one.  I'm
also using MPEG-2, not MPEG-4.  My CPU load is much higher than your 10%,
but I am de-interlacing because I keep my monitor in one resolution and
watch multiple formats (480i, 720p, 1080i).

I also haven't tried to get lm_sensors working - this is a frontend only
machine, so it's not that important to me.  My CPU is the 4200+ EE (Energy
Efficient 65w model).

All in all, I'm rather impressed with the motherboard.  It has almost
everything that an HTPC really needs onboard, except for an IR sensor, and
that's easily added.

-- Joe

Signup at www.doteasy.com