[mythtv-users] Problems with transcoded avi files

Charles philip Chan cpchan at sympatico.ca
Wed Oct 4 16:16:54 UTC 2006

On  3 Oct 2006, eric.gilbert at gmail.com wrote:

> To the best of my knowledge the MythTV implementation of the Nuppel
> Video Format lacks an internal index ... and seeking in mplayer and
> your divx player probably are expecting an index to seek on.

I remember reading this somewhere. However, for some reason, mplayer is
able to seek in the original nuv file.

> I use avidemux to add an index and wrap the file with an avi
> container, and have had no problems with the output.

Thanks, avidemux2 works fine. My only problem with the program is that
it keeps insisting on bringing up the GUI, thus it is not really good
for cron job scripting which is what I want to do. Ideally I want to run
mythtranscode (with a copy profile) to remove commercials from files
that I put into an input directory, put the video and audio in an avi
container, delete the original and move the resulting files to an output
directory once they are done.

> In theory you should be able to use mencoder with the forceidx command
> as well, but I can't vouch for it working for every file.

No luck with mencoder. The resulting avi files still crashes mplayer
when doing a seek. :-(

Thanks for your help.

Charles

--
"If a machine couldn't run a free operating system, we got rid of it."

  -- Richard Stallman (Open Sources, 1999 O'Reilly and Associates)