[mythtv-users] 1080i HD without XvMC, how much horsepower?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 12:06:49 UTC 2006

On 10/4/06, Neil Dunbar <neil.dunbar at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 October 2006 00:58, Rett D. Walters wrote:
> > I have Myth running on an AMD 64 3800+ with an Nvidia 6600GT PCI-E video
> > card.  System runs at about 35% CPU during 1080i playback with Bob
> > Deinterlacing w/o XvMC.  System is running Nforce4 Mobo with Gentoo
> > complied for AMD64
> >
> > I think that PCI-E video makes a substantial difference as compared to AGP.
> That is impressive - and interesting. I have a similar system (no HDTV) and if
> I have Bob turned on, the CPU for X shoots to 99%. If, OTOH, I use Onefield,
> then it bimbles along at around 15%. This is an onboard 6150, which makes me
> think that an offboard GPU might well be the way to go.

which driver? IIRC, a few releases back this was an known issue that
was later fixed. I hope it is, the 6150 boards would make great small
HD capable frontends.

I never checked to see if moving my frontend from AGP to PCI-E made a
difference in CPU use, but if it did, it wasn't substantial on my

Before you ask, read the FAQ!
then search the Wiki, and this list,
Mailinglist etiquette -