[mythtv-users] GeForce 6150, SPDIF, digital passthru - Success!

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 06:39:28 UTC 2006

On 10/3/06, Andrew Bernat <abernat at zathras.net> wrote:

> I have the exact same system. Can you send me the configuration flags,
> particularly the ALSA device and .asoundrc you're using? I've been having a
> ton of trouble getting passthrough to work :/
>
> Drew
>
> On Oct 3, 2006, at 9:04 PM, Richard Krehbiel wrote:
>
> I've done it.  I have digital passthru from MythTV via coax SPDIF.
>
> MSI K9NGM2-FID Socket AM2 GeForce 6150.
> Fedora Core 5, Linux kernel 2.6.17-1.2174_FC5smp.
>
> Here's what made the difference: I downloaded and installed ALSA 1.0.13 from
> alsa-project.org.
>
> I had been testing with mplayer, to get it to pass AC3 from DVD to SPDIF,
> and even after the new ALSA version, it still didn't.  But I tried
> mythfrontend anyway - and it worked!
>
> And with that, I'm happy enough.  For now.

What kind of problems are people having?  I've had really good success
with quite a few similar boards:
Asus A8N-VM CSM
and
Asus M2NPV-VM
both using Digital audio with passthrough or analog.  The only quark
I've ran into is the component output on the M2NPV-VM that unless the
correct TVStandard is set it produces a blue hue over the entire
screen.  Otherwise, it is a very nice board for FE/BE combined systems
(as well as a straight FE system).  For a backend the PCI's are quite
limited and it seems like overkill for video, so I wouldn't necessary
recommend as a standalone BE.

I don't really know what to include in a wiki page because I didn't
really have to do a whole lot of 'non-standard' stuff to get it
working as desired in Gentoo.  Fedora took a little bit of sweet
talking, but overall it wasn't that much different.

So, if anyone can post up some of the problems they had (whether they
have them fixed or not, if it's fixed, the fix would be good too ;) )
I'll be happy to build a wiki entry with some steps I take and include
some config files in it.

-Chad

--
Prebuilt HDTV capable systems at reasonable prices:
http://www.pauselivetv.com