[mythtv-users] OT: PCI slots: 64 bit slots on Dell PowerEdge

Justin The Cynical cynical at penguinness.org
Wed Oct 4 05:33:16 UTC 2006

James Pifer wrote:
> I've been trying to get a frontend working well with TVOut. I bought a
> PCI FX5200 that I've been trying to run in a box with Athlon 1400+
> processor. (I've tried a lot of things, see previous posts about
> horsepower)

Does it look like this card?

http://aopen.jp/products/vga/large/fx5200-v128pci-l.jpg

The important part is the notches in the edge connector.

> I have another box that I decided to try and use. I moved all of the
> stuff it was running to another box to free it up. It's a Dual Xeon 1.8
> ghz machine. That's got to have plenty to do this. (no HD)
>
> Problem is the PCI slots. It has:
> two 32-bit 33MHz PCI slots
> two 64-bit 66MHz PCI slots
> two 64-bit 100MHz PCI-X slots

Does your PCI-X slots look like these?

http://www.pasarlascanutas.com/bricolaje/ensamblaje_de_pc_2004/2_montar_un_pc_placa_base_022.JPG

> Is there any way I can I use the 64 bit slots with regular PCI cards?
> Maybe some kinf of riser or something? Currently the cards do not fit. I
> have 3 tuners, plus the PCI FX5200. I'd be willing to trade up the video
> card to something that would work, but all I can find are PCI-Express,
> which to my understanding are different.

Well, if the video card look like the image I listed, it will not work
in the PCI-X slot, as PCI-X doesn't support 5V cards.

The 64-bit slots I linked to as well are 3.3V slots, PCI cards that are
not universal (5V only) won't work in them.

Doing some google image searches, it looks like there are universal and
5V FX5200 cards, so it depends on which one you have if it will work.

Universal PCI cards will work in a 64-bit PCI slot.  I ran a buffalo
wifi card in my old B&W Mac and the current Digital Audio G4, and all
the general use PCI slots in those machines are 64-bit.