[mythtv-users] Fuzzy sound, other recording issues.

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Wed Oct 4 01:02:55 UTC 2006

> Robin,
>
> Thanks for your help so far on this issue.
> So far however I haven't been able to implement the patch.
>
> On someone else's advice I rebuilt the myth box with FC5 vice CentOS,
> because so many more essential packages are available to install without
> any tweaking.
>
> For the latest FC5 kernel (2.6.17) the latest stable version of ivtv is
> 0.7.1.  I found *similar* lines in ivtv-streams.c to the ones you posted,
> modified those, and then tried to compile.  Make failed with the following
> message:
>
> [root at rockstar ivtv-0.7.1]# make
> make -C driver all
> make[1]: Entering directory `/root/ivtv-0.7.1/driver'
> make -C /lib/modules/2.6.17-1.2187_FC5/build M=/root/ivtv-0.7.1/driver
> modules
> make: *** /lib/modules/2.6.17-1.2187_FC5/build: No such file or directory.
>  Stop.
> make: Entering an unknown directorymake: Leaving an unknown
> directorymake[1]: *** [all] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/ivtv-0.7.1/driver'
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> I'm too much of a noob to really interpret what this means.  I would
> appreciate any help you could render--even if you just want to point me at
> the next man page I need to read :)

Sounds like the kernel dev package is missing - its looking for something
in the /lib/modules/2.6.17-1.2187_FC5/build directory. Like I said, I
don't do rpm based distros so I've no idea what the package name is that's
missing.

> IVTV 0.7.1 was already installed via yum.  I do not know what issues I
> will run into trying to compile the "patched" version, nor what might
> happen if I try this with say the 0.4.0 source.  So, I don't want to take
> up all of your time, but if you could help me understand this I'd
> appreciate it too.

Compiling from source with the tinny audio patch will just replace the
ivtv modules - your choice as to whether you remove the package before
doing the make install for the source stuff or just let it fly and
overwrite. Either way you can always re-install from the rpm to get back
to a known state (even if it is a 'tinny' one!)

--
Robin Gilks