[mythtv-users] Changing partition label

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 00:34:20 UTC 2006

On 04/10/06, stan <stanlist at cox.net> wrote:

> I'm running mythTV .20 on Fedora FC5.  When I installed, I partitioned hda
> with swap, /boot, and /.  I put one partition on hdc labeled /video.
>
> Now I like to change the label /video to /data.
>
> Can I do this by
>
> 1.  e2label /dev/hdc1 /data
> 2.  Change LABEL=/video in /etc/fstab to LABEL=/data
> 3.  Change the mythTV config from /video to /data/recordings
>
> or do I need to do more?  Perhaps something with LVM?

Do you want to change the partition label (don't think so), or do you
really want to change the mount point of the second hard drive (this
is what I think you're trying to do)?

If you want to change the mount point, you need to create a new mount
point (like /data/recordings) and then edit your /etc/fstab (change
hdc1's mount point from /video to /data/recordings) to mount the
second hard drive there.

Note that if you use /data/recordings, only your MythTV recordings
will live on hdc1. If you use /data, everything under /data will be
stored on hdc1. Remember to configure MythTV (and any other programs
using /video) to point to the new recording directory.

Note that you do not need to change the label of the partition to do
this, although cosmetically it looks nice, and can be useful in
quickly determining a partition's contents. In /etc/fstab, you can
reference partitions to mount by partition name (/dev/hdc1) or
partition label (LABEL=/video), so as long as you reference the
correct partition, you will be OK.

Nick

MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/