[mythtv-users] 1080i HD without XvMC, how much horsepower?

Scott Alfter mythtv at salfter.dyndns.org
Tue Oct 3 23:14:59 UTC 2006

Mark Lehrer wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 03, 2006 at 05:01:34PM -0400, Steven Adeff wrote:
>> [Someone else wrote:]
>>> So the bottom line - I consider a dual core to be a requirement for
>>> hi def - both MythTV and X are quite busy.
>>
>> except that a single core can more than handle the requirements of
>> even 1080i with deinterlacing.
>
> Not true, in my experience with a 3.2 ghz p4, and a 3500+.

It works for me with an Athlon 64 3700, as I posted earlier.

What I'm now wondering, though, is how much of an effect choice of distro might
have on performance.  I'm running Gentoo for AMD64, with a moderate amount of
optimization (just -O2).  Someone who runs a less-optimized distro (or worse,
an x86 distro on AMD64 hardware) might well need more powerful hardware to keep up.

  _/_