[mythtv-users] Transcoding HDTV?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 21:30:38 UTC 2006

On 10/3/06, Robert Tsai <mythtv at tsaiberspace.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 03, 2006 at 02:13:33PM -0500, Nate Carlson wrote:
> > I've finally picked up a HDHomeRun, and can now do proper HDTV with
> > Myth (these are so much easier to get up and running than the
> > PCI-based cards.. I'm really impressed!) One thing I never did get
> > working with the PCI-based solutions was trancoding.. I want to drop
> > my HDTV programming down to a significantly lower resolution that
> > it's broadcasted at (DVD-ish resolution looks fine on my TV's), and
> > haven't been able to figure out the best way to set this up.
> >
> > A few questions:
> >
> > - Is there a way to get Myth to automatically use a certain transcoding
> >    profile for HDTV programs? If so, how does it define HDTV programs?
>
> Possibly. "HDTV programs" would most likely be identified by what
> capture card was used to record something. If that works for you, then
> the stuff at http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-23.html#ss23.14
> should have what you need, if you want to use mythtranscode.
>
> > - I'd like to drop the resolution significantly, and go to MPEG4 (well,
> >    h264, but I bet that's not an option!) Any problems with that?
> >
> > - Is it possible to keep the AC3 audio track, or will it be converted to
> >    MP3?
>
> I think for now, mythtranscode will convert to MP3. It is a known
> issue, but I don't know if anyone is working on it.
>
> --Rob

In dropping down to DVD resolution (720x480), or anything below 720p,
it may make more sense to go xvid over x264 just because of encoding
times. x264 requires quite a bit more processing power and at those
lower resolutions I don't think you would gain much.

my post,
should be of some help in doing xvid encodes outside of Myth. It will
save the ac3 soundtrack, and you can edit the scale size and final
encoding sizes to your desire. Its really only set up for 30min and
1hr tv shows, but it should at least get you started.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!