[mythtv-users] mythfrontend 0.20 Protocol version mismatch (frontend=30, backend=31)

Osma Ahvenlampi oa at iki.fi
Tue Oct 3 08:59:24 UTC 2006

On ma, 2006-10-02 at 13:56 -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 10/02/06 12:50, Walter Hofstetter wrote:
> >I'm running mythtv from the atrpm repo and struggled with the same befor.
> >My frontend runs on a mac mini in my livingroom and it's always more
> >complicated to get binaries for MAC with the right plug-ins...
>
> Or, we could just tell people to always run the same version of Myth on
> all their systems, and they could bug the packagers who don't track the
> SVN fixes branch, instead of "blaming" Myth for the problem.  ;)

Oh, yeah, that'll work for Walter's problem, Michael. Thanks. :)

Seriously speaking, it's not like many other projects didn't experience
this same situation, and haven't been able to find working solutions to
it. A couple of things spring to mind, take your pick:

* a protocol that isn't so binary-sensitive - such as one based on XML
messages on everything but the actual video/audio data. Overhead would
be trivial, and backwards-compatibility could be easily maintained.

* support for at least a couple of binary protocol versions. The
unofficial MythTV Windows client (name of which I forget) seemed to
support multiple backend protocol versions.

* tracking the protocol numbers in the visible versioning, as was
suggested in this thread.

* avoiding backwards-incompatible changes in a stable version, even if
it means a bug couldn't be fixed "the right way". New releases can take
care of that, and they don't HAVE to happen every year or so.

Just pointing out the obvious - that the status quo isn't the only
alternative.

//osma

--
Osma Ahvenlampi   <oa at iki.fi>    http://www.fishpool.org