[mythtv-users] Newb frustration with LIRC, IR Blasters, etc.

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 04:15:19 UTC 2006

On 03/10/06, Pete Cap <peteoutside at yahoo.com> wrote:

> My setup is quite "bare bones" and I only need it to control the cable
> set-top box so it can pull off scheduled recordings.  So for this I only
> need one instance of LIRC, to run the IR Blaster.
>
> Following the instructions at the losdos guide I get the following error
> when their script attempts to configure:
>
> configure: error: *** you need to have the Linux kernel source installed for
> this driver
>
> The thing is, I have got the kernel modules for lirc already installed via
> yum:

The "Linux kernel source" is the source to the Linux kernel (not the
LIRC kernel modules). If you are compiling programs yourself, you will
need this installed. For Fedora, you should be able to

# yum install kernel-devel-`uname -r`

to install the required -devel files. If you need the complete kernel
source installed, you will need to install the .src.rpm file for your
particular Fedora kernel.

> [root at rockstar ~]# rpm -qa | grep lirc
> lirc-lib-0.8.1-61_cvs20060628.fc5.at
> lirc-lib-devel-0.8.1-62_cvs20060930.fc5.at
> lirc-devices-0.7.0-2.fc5.at
> lirc-0.8.1-62_cvs20060930.fc5.at
> lirc-kmdl-2.6.17-1.2187_FC5-0.8.1-61_cvs20060628.fc5.at

You seem to have LIRC installed from atrpms.net, so why are you trying
to compile LIRC as well?

With LIRC installed from packages, you now need to make sure you have
a suitable remote control definition for your IR blaster to control
your STB with, make sure LIRC is using the serial port the IR blaster
is attached to, and that your channel change script is configured
correctly. The link I gave earlier seems to address these points quite
methodically.

Nick

MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/