[mythtv-users] TV card suitable for a mini-PCI?

Patrick Ouellette pat at flying-gecko.net
Tue Nov 21 22:17:07 UTC 2006

On Tue, Nov 21, 2006 at 08:48:24PM +0000, Alex Walker wrote:

> Hi, hope this is the right place to ask this...
>
> I have a slimline PC that I'd like to convert to a mythtv media centre.
> The problem is that it doesn't currently have a TV card in it and
> finding mini-PCI cards (of any kind) can be tricky and expensive.  I
> think I have 2 options in this case - find a mini-PCI card, or find an
> external USB card that will work OK.
>
> I'm wondering what is the cheapest option and if anyone has
> recommendations on what card/device to get.
>
> I'd like it to do hardware MPEG, just to save processor... although a P4
> 2.5GHz would probably cope.
>
> Any advice greatly appreciated, thanks.

If you were looking for a HDTV solution you could look at the HDHomeRun
http://www.silicondust.com/zxc/content/view/5/26/

It connects over your Ethernet network (you do have a network, don't
you?).

Won't handle non-digital (analog) TV, but does do ATSC and QAM (over the
air and cable digital TV signals in North America).

pat

Patrick Ouellette                 pat at flying-gecko.net
kb8pym at arrl.net                   Amateur Radio: KB8PYM
Living life to a Jimmy Buffett soundtrack
"Crank the amp to 11, this needs more cowbell - and a llama wouldn't hurt either"